Wednesday, March 18, 2009

1 2 3 start

This is my first entry of how I am going to make illustrating a career. I have been very inspired by Holli Conger when I read about her in the Artist's & Graphic Designer's Market 2006. My son was about 2 then and I was quite inspired by the growing energy he brought me everyday. I sketched animals and creatures and managed to scan them into Photoshop to work on. One of my ideas was to do the alphabet with animals and I had sketched out most if not all of 26 creatures and developed a style that I like. Then life caught up with me and I never got a chance to take them to the next step towards promotion. 
Now my son is almost 5 and draws like a maniac. Watching him draw continuously is pushing me to pick up where I left off. I phoned my friend in Brooklyn who is an art director for a well known magazine and asked for some advice about what to include for my sample work. To my surprise, things haven't changed that much in the illustration world since I graduated from Art school. The examples she gave me were very much the same assignments we were doing in school, which made me feel a bit better to hear. Now my next step is to start reading. Yes, reading, articles and books I would like to illustrate. I don't really know how long it will take until I have enough samples to send out, but this blog will document my journey. I am excited to start, I don't feel too old or it's too late. I am excited to actually have the life experience and courage to pursue what I would love to do as a career. I am not afraid of criticism about my work. Some will like them, some will not, it is a business, not an ego trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment